Oxalic Acid - Wood Bleach
Oxalic acid is typically used to bleach wood when it has been stained by iron, but can also be used for all sorts of wood stains such as rust stains, water stains or pet urine stains. Sometimes this is the only solution for stains that just won't come out with any amount of sanding! Oxalic acid will not remove the natural colour of the wood!
Oxalic acid is an all-natural, organic compound, found in vegetables like sorrel, spinach and rhubarb. It is a relatively strong acid for its acid group.
Comes in a 16oz container, or buy in 5lb bulk bags.
SURFACE PREPARATION: Wood must be free of all coatings, waxes & oils. Use appropriate strippers and cleaners to remove coatings.
MIXING: ALWAYS WEAR RUBBER GLOVES, EYE PROTECTION & PROTECTIVE CLOTHING WHEN USING THIS PRODUCT.
- Add entire contents of jar to 2 gallons of hot water or 2 tablespoons of Oxalic acid per quart of hot water for small spots. Allow to dissolve.
- Apply hot solution w/scrub brush, old paint brush or mop for large jobs. Apply liberally allowing the solution to remain on surface until bleached to desired lightness. For spots, use an artist brush and paint only on the spot.
- If solution cools before job is finished, reheat the solution being careful not to allow it to come to a boil.
- Rinse treated area repeatedly w/clean water and allow to dry.
- Test removal of the bleach from the dried wood by wiping the surface w/dark-colored cloth checking for a powdery residue. If powder is present, rinse again w/clean water and allow to dry.
- Wood grain may be raised as a result of application of this product. Ensure all bleach residue is gone & then sand wood & finish w/desired product.
- For smaller spots, you may want to neutralize the acid with a rag saturated with borax solution, to avoid reactions with your wood finish. Mix borax powder in the same ratio as Oxalic acid in hot water. Borax, like Oxalic Acid, is a natural product and can be easily obtained at your local grocery store.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN AND PETS.
MAY BE TOXIC TO SMALL PETS.
See Real Milk Paint's Website for more info on Oxalic Acid Wood Bleach!